In the News
California Awards Nearly $73 Million to Veterans Housing Projects
Affordable Housing Finance on 11/11/2018
Originally posted by Affordable Housing Finance
Fifteen developments in California have been awarded $72.9 million to help provide housing for the state’s homeless veterans.
The funding comes from the fourth round of the Veterans Housing and Homelessness Prevention (VHHP) program at a time when more than 11,000 veterans are experiencing homeless on any given night in the state, representing almost 30% of the nation’s homeless vets, according to state officials.
The program is a collaboration of the California Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD), California Department of Veterans Affairs (CalVet), and California Housing Finance Agency.
Developers and nonprofit entities will use the funds to construct, acquire, rehabilitate, or preserve affordable multifamily housing to help provide stable and affordable homes to California veterans and their families.
“The housing provided to our veterans and their families through VHHP is more than a roof and four walls,” said HCD Director Ben Metcalf. “Residents also receive quality supportive services, including case management, substance abuse services, health clinics, benefits advocacy, and family and child-care services. We are creating stable and safe environments for our veterans who served our nation.”
A fifth round of awards is expected to be available in fall 2019, providing another opportunity to apply for and receive funds to create additional homes for veterans throughout the state.
Here's a list of the fourth-round recipients:
Project Name | Location | VHHP | Amount | Sponsor
- Alameda Point Senior | Alameda | $3,094,149 | Eden Housing
- Alameda Point Family | Alameda | $3,600,871 | Eden Housing
- Maceo May Apartments | San Francisco | $10,000,000 | Chinatown Community Development Center and Swords to Plowshares
- Parrott Street Apartments | San Leandro | $5,299,730 | Eden Housing
- Windsor Veterans Village | San Bernardino | $9,900,000 | Urban Housing Communities
- E Street San Bernardino | San Bernardino | $4,426,369 | U.S. Vets
- Mission Heritage Plaza | Riverside | $4,001,485 | Wakeland Housing & Development Corp.
- Melrose Apartments | Los Angeles | $4,936,000 | Affirmed Housing Group
- Whittier Place Apartments Phase II | Los Angeles | $3,926,388 | East L.A. Community Corp.
- Miramonte Apartments | Los Angeles | $3,946,289 | A Community of Friends
- 14th & Commercial | San Diego | $10,000,000 | S.V.D.P. Management
- Manzanita Family Apartmetns | Napa | $2,434,110 | Satellite Affordable Housing Associates
- Templeton Place II | San Luis Obispo | $1,065,804 | Peoples' Self-Help Housing Corp.
- Residences at East Hills | Bakersfield | $3,544,000 | Housing Authority of the County of Kern
- Renaissance at Parc Grove IV (PG IV) | Fresno | $2,818,068 | Housing Authority of the City of Fresno