Home Ownership Opportunities
The Self-Help Home Ownership program assists families in the construction of their new house and reduces the cost at the same time. Groups of ten families work together under PSHH's supervision to build one another's house and, through the process, build a community.
Participating families lower their home building costs between 20-25 percent by contributing a minimum of 1,600 hours of construction labor per family through the construction process, which averages to about 12-15 months per home. This "sweat equity" is used in lieu of a cash down payment. This collective effort creates neighborhood ties and an overall sense of pride through the direct construction involvement of the future residents!
Low-income families are taught the financial and construction skills necessary to build their first home.
- Annual Income at least $40,000.
- Good Credit and Rental History
- Maximum Income Limits Apply
- Maximum income for a 1 – 4 person household - $66,550
- Maximum income for a 5 or more person household - $87,850
- Commitment to work 40+ hours a week to building your home
- Borrower must be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident
* Requirements differ by county. The requirements listed above are for San Luis Obispo County.
Build Your Own Home
Self-help lots are not currently available, however, you may submit an Intake form at any time (see below). Should lots become available, counseling staff will contact you to help you learn how to best meet the qualifications for future developments.
If you have access to a printer, you may print the Self-Help Intake Form and Instructions by clicking on the links below. If you do not have a printer, you may pick up an Intake package at our office at 3533 Empleo Street, San Luis Obispo, CA 93401 on weekdays between 8 am and 5 pm.
For more information please call the Home Ownership Department at (805) 540-2446.