History and Facts
With a mission to build supportive housing with site-based services that offer opportunity to change lives and strengthen communities, Peoples' Self-Help Housing is the largest nonprofit houser on California's Central Coast. We serve working families,farm workers,seniors and veterans and provide welcoming environments for those living with disabilities and the formerly homeless. Along with building and managing beautiful and accessible neighborhoods in San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara and Ventura Counties, we provide a wide-range of resident services.
In 1970 in San Luis Obispo, California, a small group including Jeanette Duncan, former Executive Director, and local community leaders were concerned about the lack of housing available to low-income and special needs households. The group learned of a federally sponsored program available to nonprofit sponsors to finance the construction of owner built, low-income housing.
- Founded in 1970
- Operates 52 neighborhoods in over 25 communities of San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara and Ventura counties
- Has helped nearly 1,200 first time home buyers build and purchase their first home
- Has developed or renovated nearly 1,800 units of residential housing
- Housing dedicated for seniors, veterans, those living with disabilities and other special needs
- Provides rental housing for over 5,000 adults and children.
- Charter Member of NeighborWorks America, a national network of community development organizations
- Provides technical assistance to numerous jurisdictions
- Nearly 200 staff with a variety of skills and a deep commitment to mission and serving our community